Arts Award in youth justice organisations
- Youth offending teams and services
- Secure units
- Youth work organisations and charities
Arts Award offers qualifications to young people that develop their creativity, leadership and communication skills. Arts Award assesses a young person’s development rather than achievement of a specific art form skill level, and encourages independent learning, building confidence as well as transferable skills.
There are five levels, four of which (Explore, Bronze, Silver and Gold) are on the Regulated Qualifications Framework (RQF). Arts Award Discover is an introductory level.
- nationally recognised - Arts Awards provide accreditation and are a widely recognised record of achievement
- accessible and flexible - the framework provides structure and can be embedded in your existing arts or education offer. It can be adapted to the requirements of your organisation and young people and is open to all abilities
- measurable – use Arts Award to evidence improved engagement and education attainment
- community involvement – Arts Award can be used to forge partnerships with arts organisations and schools as well as to strengthen relationships to aid resettlement
If you are working with young people who want to take part in a social action project
or they are involved in reparation activities, visit our Creative Campaigning
page to find out how Arts Award can provide the framework to deliver these activities creatively through the arts.
Find out more about the benefits of offering Arts Award in youth justice settings and see our myth-busters here.
‘Arts Award increases self-esteem, giving young people confidence to go on to further educational provision. It has also improved relationships with parents and carers, who have enjoyed seeing their young people engaged in positive activities and celebrating achievements.’
Sally Dickin, Deputy Head of Service, Tameside Youth Offending Team
Arts Award is offered at five levels:
Discover, Explore, Bronze, Silver or Gold.
||For an overview of how Arts Award can work in youth justice settings, please take a look at our Arts Award Youth offending and prevention leaflet which you can download or order from the online shop.